Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Rhubarb syrup and lilies of the valley

Don't worry I didn't use lilies of the valley for my rhubarb syrup, even if I like the scent very much, but I also know that this would be a short pleasure as they are really poisonous. :) I found a recipe in the coconutandvanilla.com blog, which I wanted to try myself too.

For 1.5 -2 l of syrup you need:


  • approx. 1.3-1.5 kg rhubarb
  • 900 g sugar
  • 500 ml water
  • juice of 1 lime



Rinse off the rhubarb throughly and trim the ends. Cut it into small pieces and stir together with the sugar in a large saucepan and leave it for approx. 1 hour.

Add water and lime juice, bring rhubarb mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb has broken down, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and strain the mixture through a
jelly bag, or a very fine sieve, pressing with the back of a spoon to extract the juice. Bring the syrup to boil once more and pour into hot jars and seal. 



And of course my lilies of the valley and the syringa I got from my parent's garden which I also wanted to show you. Can you image the nice scent in our living room?


Kram,

Isabell

No comments:

Post a Comment