Thursday, August 29, 2013

Äppelkaka - Swedish Apple cake recipe

When I went to work this morning, it was quite cold and you could smell this typical autumn flavour of wet leaves. I started to think about autumn and all the things I like about it. I'm one of these persons that like all 4 seasons, because I think every season is special in a way. Autumn for me means that you have so many different rich colours, plums and apples and the cozy season starts. I've planned to make a Swedish Apple cake (Äppelkaka) tomorrow and this is the way it will look like:

Photo: arla
This recipe is from my family, it's simple and perfect for a windy, rainy cold day. Here is what you need:

  • 5-6 Boskop apples (or other apples that aren't too sweet)
  • 1 dl breadcrumb and 2 slices pumpernickel
  • 1 dl sugar
  • 2 msk cinnamon
  • 100 g butter (room temperature)
  • custard or vanilla icecream
Preheat the oven to 225 °C, peel the apples and cut into small pieces, remove the apple core. Butter an oven-safe form and fill with a layer of apples. Mix the butter with the sugar, the cinnamon, crumb the pumpernickel and the breadcrumb, spread over the apple layer. Add another layer of apples and then the bread-cinnamon-sugar-breadcrumb-butter mix. Continue until the form is filled and make sure to finish with the mix not with the apples and spread some small butter flakes over the last layer. Bake for approx. 20 Minutes in the oven until the apples are soft.

Serve with custard or vanilla ice-cream.

Kram,

Isabell

No comments:

Post a Comment