Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Gröt - a perfect breakfast for a winter day

Yesterday it started to snow here so it's time to start my winter-breakfast and this is a perfect breakfast when it is cold outside. In summer I often eat fresh fruits with yogurt or drink smoothies for breakfast. Winter si a completely different thing, because you need more energy.
I start working at 8 am and at 10 am my tummy starts to demand for more food... but with this breakfast I'm able to convince him to wait for lunch. In Swedish it is called "gröt" which corresponds to the word "mash", in this case I prepare a porridge. But you can also prepare it with rice or semolina. The creamed rice version is the one children in Sweden put outside for Father Christmas, so if he can work with that all night, you should be able to work until lunch!

It's very easy and doesn't take long time:

For one big plate take 250 ml milk and heat it:



choose your favourite oat flakes and add  approx. 1 3/4 dl oat flakes (it depends on how viscous you like it). Be careful because the flakes will swell.



bring to a short boil while stirring (I take a coated pot to be sure not to burn it), as soon as it starts to get bubbles that explode, put it away from the oven and fill it into a soup plate:


Add apple sauce or any jam you like, in this case I chose lingonberries.


Kram,

Isabell


No comments:

Post a Comment