Saturday, February 16, 2013

Attacked in church

I attract strange situations like a magnet sometimes, like yesterday: I went to church after work because I wanted to light a candle for my grandma. They have a little quiet place in one corner where you can buy tea lights and light them. So I came in and went straight towards this part of the church and took out a 50 cent coin and put the money into the box for the tea light and lighted it and thought about my grandma when a man that was hidden behind a pillar came towards me and said in broken German with a pushy voice "You, 1 Euro now!"I was very bewildered because this is a place where people go to think about those who have passed away and it really felt strange to be asked for money in this situation. So I said "Sorry, I don't have money". At the same time I felt guilty because I was in church and didn't give that man something. He didn't go away, he just kept on standing there close to me and waited for me to give him something, watching me. I already started to feel uneasy, when a second man came and said "you need to put all the tea lights together, put them all together, only like that they can work and do wonders.." Looking into his eyes and his face, I saw that he was crazy... so there I was alone in an empty church together with a man that was obviously crazy and another one that wanted money. Fortunately a pastor came out of the confessional box and that attracted the crazy man and he went to him to tell him he was a Saint. The other guy also disappeared when he saw the pastor, so I just escaped without being able to pray or think about my grandma for 1 second. If he would have been outside the church or at the entrance and would have let me do what I was there for, I would certainly have given him money, that's what I do for homeless people too. But to go to people when they are very vulnerable and to ask them with this pushy voice and to use the church to make people feel guilty is really something I dislike and therefore I didn't give him anything, otherwise he will maybe do the same thing to others. And he didn't look poor at all... you are not safe anywhere, even not in church :)

No comments:

Post a Comment