Thursday, November 8, 2012

Living in 2 cultures

If I needed to describe myself, I would say I'm modern. But at the same time very traditional.
I've recognized that I am very traditional when it comes to Sweden. It's like I wanted time to stand still in Sweden and I buy old things from Sweden which I wouldn't buy in Germany. But why?

I think if you live in two cultures it's always like that, because I've also seen the same thing happening with friends that have grown up with two different cultures. You tend to glorify the culture you are not living with everyday. And the other thing is that the parent that comes from that different culture is in sort of a time vacuum, he/she brings the values and traditions from the time he/she left the country and gives these values and traditions to his/her children. But life in that country goes on. And of course he/she misses this country and will do everything to keep the traditions alive. So that's why my family in Germany is much more traditional than my family in Sweden, my cousins don't like the old Swedish things that much and they can't understand why I'm ravished by these dust catchers. And we celebrate St. Lucia while my relatives think that it's not something to celebrate.

Having traditions is something wonderful and I'm sure that I will also give them to my children one day. But at the same time I'll try to be open minded that life changes in that country.




No comments:

Post a Comment