Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Jam doughnuts - Krapfen

One of my favorite pastries during January and February are jam doughnuts, which are called "Krapfen" here in Bavaria and "Berliner" in most of the other parts of Germany. Berlin residents call them "Pfannkuchen", which in the rest of Germany means "pancakes".



The bakeries use a sweet yeast dough and fry it in fat or oil and fill it with jam and put icing sugar or conventional sugar on top. That's the version you can get all- year round. But during carnival (which is right now until 12th of February) they use different other toppings and fillings like chocolate, custard, plum butter, advocaat, baileys, honey and cream cheese etc. I often stand there in front of the display window and it takes ages before I make my decision which one to buy. I simply like all of them :)

Kram,

Isabell









No comments:

Post a Comment